Divorce Lawyers in Virginia Beach Assist You Every Step of the Way
Dedicated Chesapeake, VA legal team works on your behalf to achieve your goals in a divorce
Our compassionate divorce attorneys at Shannon & Associates, P.C. know the toll that the dissolution of a marriage can take on spouses and their families. Nearly 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce, and when you’re facing this personally, you can trust our family lawyers to keep your best interests in perspective and fight on your behalf.
To get help from a respected divorce attorney in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, call (757) 228-5529 or contact us online.
You need a reason — or grounds — to get a divorce in Virginia
Virginia divorce laws require at least one valid reason, or grounds, for a spouse to seek the dissolution of a marriage. Grounds for divorce vary with the type of dissolution you or your spouse seek, including:
- Divorce from bed and board: The court’s decree makes spouses legally separated but does not permit them to remarry yet. Among the grounds for this type of divorce are willful desertion and abandonment. These grounds require the spouses to cease living together and that the abandoning or deserting spouse intended to do so. This means that if your spouse leaves the house with your consent, he or she has not abandoned or deserted you.
- Divorce from the bond of matrimony: In this instance, the individuals are absolutely and completely divorced — no legal marital link exists between the former spouses — at the court’s order. It can be a no-fault or fault divorce. If you and your spouse agree to a divorce without one or the other having committed any misconduct towards the other, such as cheating, you may obtain a no-fault divorce. On the other hand, you may petition the court for a divorce based on the misconduct you or your spouse has committed:
- Annulment: Not all married individuals are eligible for an annulment. In fact, an annulment is very difficult to obtain because the court then puts the spouses in a legal position as though they had never married. The petitioning spouse must show that any of the below was used by the other spouse to enter into the marriage:
Our lawyers protect your rights in a divorce
As you proceed through the process of divorce, our attorneys know the tough decisions and questions you will have to make, such as:
- Do you want primary custody of your children?
- Would you like to keep living in the home you and your former spouse shared?
- Will you need spousal support?
Having a competent divorce lawyer on your side can help you get what you want and deserve. In Virginia, the courts divide the property acquired during marriage, award custody of children and may order a former spouse to financially support the other for a period of time or forever. You may have the right to:
- Obtain sole custody of your children and receive child support
- Stay in your home
- Receive financial assistance from your former spouse
Trust our attorneys to handle your divorce in Virginia Beach, VA whether it is amicable or contentious
The office of Shannon & Associates, P.C. is conveniently located in Chesapeake, VA near I-64 and is accessible via public transportation. We also offer free parking and after-hours access to our attorneys. Contact us by calling (757) 228-5529 or by sending us a message online. We would be honored to represent you in your divorce.